News Gallery

Back to current

Sports News






Current Sports News



On Monday the Y10 cricket team headed to the District Cricket Finals Day. They took on Stratton in the semi-final, who they comfortably beat after bowling first. The final was a much closer contest, as the boys took on Sharnbrook. Mark Rutherford batted first and posted what looked like a very good 116. Sharnbrook stuttered early on but then made an excellent comeback to take the game into the final over. It went all the way to the final ball, with Sharnbrook needing 5 to win, they only achieved a single, so Mark Rutherford won the game by 4 runs!

A fantastic achievement for all of the boys involved!


U15 District Final

Yesterday I took the U15 District Cricket team to the Finals Day at Bedford Modern School where we faced Stratton in the semi-final.

Skipper Dan Clark won the toss and elected to bowl first. Instantly Stratton were under pressure as Dan and Tobey Williams restricted the runs, and in the 4th over Tobey made the breakthrough. From there wickets fell at regular intervals, with Tobey and Dan joined by Suraj Makadia and Adam Tilson in attack. All four bowlers bowled reasonably well and each claimed at least one wicket. The bowling was supported well by some strong fielding, except for the odd loss of concentration. At one point, Stratton were struggling at 25-5, but recovered well to post a respectable 74 all out from their 16 overs – the last wicket falling off the last ball. In reply Dan and Adam Tilson opened the batting and they began with a slow run rate, but chipping away at the required total. Adam was removed in the 7th over, and in at 3 was Krishiv Vyas. Krishiv was an excellent partner for Dan, they continued to chip away at the total and at the 10th over their run rate almost mirrored that of Stratton. From there the boys upped the pace, and Dan began to let loose a little more and he quickly batted his way to a half century and secured the win with consecutive 4s in the 12th over.

This saw us comfortably into the final, where we would face the winners of Sharnbrook and Samuel Whitbread Academy. This was an extremely close game which went down to the final over, eventually Sharnbrook batted their way to a surprising, but well deserved victory; meaning we would face Sharnbrook in the final.

This time round Dan lost the toss and we were put into bat by Sharnbrook. Again, it was Dan and Adam that went out to open the innings, they got off to a very strong start and smashed 16 off the first two overs. However, in the third over Adam was bowled for just 6; this saw Krishiv Vyas come out to partner Daniel once again, he had been lifted up the order due to the absence of Rohan Mehmi for Final’s Day, and he didn’t disappoint. Both batsmen kept the scoreboard ticking over, with Dan in particular finding the boundary regularly. After 8 overs, the midway point, Marky were on 71-1, this was an excellent score at this stage, and it looked like we were going to go on to score a massive total as we continued to maintain the impressive run rate. In the 14th over, both batsmen looked to really kick on, this proved their downfall as Dan looped a shot high into the air which was comfortably caught – this saw him depart for 62 (including seven 4s and two 6s)! This was his 4th half century of the school season! Vice-captain Tobey Williams then came in, but he was quickly robbed of his partner, as Krishiv fell just two balls later to the same bowler that removed Dan. Krishiv had struck an impressive 18, as he had played a support role for Dan for much of the innings. Tom Howes came in for final two overs, and along with Tobey looked to increase the score as much as they could, eventually making their way to 116-3 at the end of the innings.

In response, Sharnbrook started well as they smashed 14 off the second over. However, Dan made the breakthrough in his second over as he had the Sharnbrook opener caught by Suraj Makadia. Dan and Tobey bowled out the first 6 overs, and in his 3rd and the team’s 5th over Dan had further success; he had the other Sharnbrook opener caught by Joseph West, and then bowled Sharnbrook’s danger man for a duck two balls later! Tobey followed this with a wicket maiden, to see Sharnbrook stutter to 37-4 from 6 overs. Here it looked as if Marky would comfortably restrict Sharnbrook, however, Sharnbrook saw their first real partnership form at this point and a recovery saw them get to the 10th over without loss, now they were at 72-4, which was bang on track to secure the required runs. Adam Tilson was brought into the bowling attack for the 13th over, this saw him break the Sharnbrook partnership as Dan Clark took a comfortable catch. Adam returned for the penultimate over, with Sharnbrook needing 15 runs off 12 balls to win, Adam bowled exceptionally well, and he picked up another wicket as clean bowled the batsman, and was then unluckily let down by some poor fielding to give away 5 runs from his final ball. This left Sharnbrook needing 8 off the final over, it was Tobey Williams to bowl, and he didn’t disappoint. He bowled a fantastic over, he went for 2 off the first ball but composed himself to deliver 3 consecutive dot balls, with boundaries needed Sharnbrook went for it, but Tobey’s deliveries were excellent and restricted Sharnbrook to two scampered singles, meaning the Mark Rutherford won by 4 runs!!

This was the first time Mark Rutherford have won the competition since 1978!


U15 District Cricket

The year 10 cricket team played their final game of the group stages this afternoon against Bedford Free School indoors and won by 9 runs.  

Amrita Panesar made her debut for the boys team and didn’t disappoint.  She scored 8 runs but more importantly took the crucial wicket of the oppositions best player on her first ball.  Rohan Mehmi (stand in captain) scored 29 runs and Adnan Choudhury also got into double figures by scoring 14.  Bowler of the day was Aimar Che Isa with figures of 3-6.

As far as I know we finished group winners and will play the second place team from the other group next week Monday on the finals day.


U15 District Cricket

Last night the U15 Cricket team travelled to STM for a District league match. STM won the toss and they chose to bowl first, which meant Dan Clark and Adam Tilson padded up to open for Mark Rutherford.

The wicket was very unpredictable and it took Dan a couple of overs to get a feel for the pitch, but once he did he began scoring runs at a rapid rate; picking up two 4s and a 6 in the 3rd over! Adam also got himself set well with a couple of boundaries of his own – this including smashing his first delivery for 4, unfortunately, he failed to build on his start and was bowled in the 3rd over for just 9.

Rohan Mehmi came in at 3 and him and Dan built an impressive partnership, both players looking to play on the front foot and they began to dominate the STM attack. Dan Clark was looking comfortable and flew past 50, and was looking on course to record a century, however, he was gone in the 10th over, he tried to pull the STM bowler but unluckily picked out the fielder on the boundary who took an outstanding one handed catch to see Dan leave the crease for 78. Dan’s 78 included six 4s and seven 6s!

At the other end Rohan was chipping away, and when Dan left, he was joined by Krishiv Vyas. This time it was Rohan who was leading the partnership, with Krishiv supporting well with singles from the other end. Rohan and Krishiv had just over 5 overs of the innings remaining and they didn’t waste any time – Rohan upped the pace as he struck thirteen 4s and one 6 to propel him onto 71 at the end of the 16 overs. Krishiv chipped in with four boundaries of his own which saw Marky end their innings on 203-2. This set an ominous task for STM, as they required well over 12 runs an over to chase the score!

Dan and Tobey Williams opened the bowling with 2 overs each, and it was Tobey’s second over which saw the breakthrough appear for Marky; he took 3 wickets to see STM slump to 15-3 off 4 overs! Joseph West, Adnan Choudhury and Rohan Mehmi all came on for spells with Rohan chipping in with one wicket, before Dan and Tobey returned. This time Dan made the breakthrough with two wickets in his final over, and this was followed by another two wickets for Tobey – giving him his five-for! This left with STM with just one wicket remaining, and Adam Tilson came on to bowl his first over of the season – his first ball being dispatched for a 4, but he responded to concede just one more run in the over and then took the final wicket with his last ball as he cleared up the batsman’s stumps! This saw STM post a respectable 73 all out in pursuit of Marky’s 203!


County Athletics Championships

We had several students recently take part in the County Athletics Championships following their strong performances in the District Competition. There were 8 different Mark Rutherford students to achieve top three finishes in their events. The stand-out performance came from Raphael Bouju who achieved three 1st place finishes and one 2nd place finish on the night!

Junior Girls
Leah Anin 1st in 100m and 4x100m relay.
Willow Tucker 3rd in 1500m

Junior Boys
Will Biziki 2nd in 100m (photo finish) and 1st in 4x100m relay – team broke the County record.

Intermediate Girls
Shannon Munro 1st in Shot Put
Tia Wilson 1st in 1500m
Freya Chapman 3rd in 300m H

Intermediate Boys
Raph Bouju 1st in 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay. 2nd in Long Jump
Reon Lewis 1st in 4x100m relay. 2nd in 200m and Triple Jump


U15 District Tennis

Last week I took 16 year 9 boys to Riverside Tennis club to compete in the U15 District Tennis Tournament.

We won this last year but unfortunately all of year 10 were sitting an exam so none of the boys were able to defend their title. We took four teams of four and had varying degrees of success. There were two groups of six teams with the top of each group playing in the final.

Team A; Ryan Jones, Tom Belcher, Sammy Harding and Zahi Mehmi. Finished 3rd in their group.
Team B; Filip Dziuba, Stean Popovic, Cameron Buckle and Nojus Cervinskas. Finished 6th in their group.
Team C; Ollie Dunkley, Archie Crampton, Arnie Rounding and Sam Dubbins. Finished 2nd in their group (only losing to the eventual winners, Sharnbrook A).
Team D; Will Bangala, Will Biziki, Mark Boateng and Andreas Izedonmwen. Finished 3rd in their group.

The boys had an enjoyable afternoon and competed very well against predominantly year 10 opponents.


U15 District Cricket

The U15 cricket team took on Biddenham in their first game of the season following their game at Sharnbrook being abandoned after just one over due to bad weather!

Skipper Dan Clark won the toss and elected to bowl; he opened the bowling himself, supported at the other end by Tobey Williams. It was a good start for Marky as Biddenham were restricted to singles, but the breakthrough didn't arrive until the 5th over when Krishiv Vyas took the first wicket on his debut for Mark Rutherford!

From this point, wickets fell at regular intervals; Krishiv ending with 3 wickets for just 13 runs off his 4 overs, Suraj supported Krishiv well from the other end and he picked up 2 wickets of his own during the Biddenham innings. Biddenham eventually reached a score of 71-8 off of their 16 overs.

Dan went out to open the batting alongside Adam Tilson and boys settled quickly. Dan playing an excellent pull shot for 4, followed quickly by Adam executing a superb drive for another boundary. The opening pair scored quickly, but Adam went out for just 10 as he lifted the ball up and was caught well by a Biddenham fielder.

Krishiv was next in and he supported Dan superbly, chipping away with quick singles to give Dan the strike where possible. Dan was batting as well as he has done for Mark Rutherford and looked in excellent form, he struck the winning runs with a 4, which left him 39 not out at the end of the game. His 39 including 2 sixes and 5 fours!

A good performance from the boys who are keen to build on last year's semi-final defeat.


District Athletics Championships

Key results from the District Athletics Championships are below, we had several students who have progressed to the County Championships on the 14th June!

Will Biziki – 1st Place in Junior Boys 100m
Will Biziki, Tom Hazell, Ben Hassall and Corey Jefferies – 2nd Place in Junior Boys 4x100m relay.
Will Biziki – 1st Place in Junior Boys Triple Jump

Raphael Bouju – 2nd Place in Inter Boys 100m (this is a shock result and apparently there’s a story behind it!)
Reon-Ashley Lewis – 1st Place in Inter Boys 200m
Jamie McCaffray – 3rd Place in Inter Boys 3000m
Reon-Ashley Lewis, Ross Waywell, Raphael Bouju and Zavier Corion – 1st Place in Inter Boys 4x100m relay.
Raphael Bouju – 1st Place in Inter Boys Long Jump.
Reon-Ashley Lewis – 1st Place in Inter Boys Triple Jump.

Intermediate Boys Team – 2nd Place in District Championships.

Joe Seward-Clarke – 2nd Place in Senior Boys 200m
Ollie Hymers – 2nd Place in Senior Boys 800m
Senior Boys 4x100m relay team – 2nd place.
Joe Seward-Clarke – 2nd Place in Senior Boys Long Jump

Leah Anin (yr8) – 1st Place in Junior Girls 100m
Tia Blackman – 3rd Place in Junior Girls 200m

Tia Wilson – 1st Place in Inter Girls 1500m
Freya Chapman – 2nd Place in Inter Girls 400m H
Hannah Folley – 2nd Place in Inter Girls Hammer Throw
Shannon Munro – 1st Place in Inter Girls Shot Putt


Y10 District Rounders

Yesterday our year 10s undertook their first rounders fixture of the season. Due to changes of fixtures we were only able to have an emergency practice on Monday to prepare for the two games, however the little time we did have to prepare did not seem to hinder the girls performance. They settled straight back into their winning ways they had become accustomed to last year.

First innings against a batting St Thomas More resulted in a clean scoresheet. Some fantastic fielding from the team allowed for this result, the girls managed to get 6 out of the 9 players out with ease. Our batting started off shakily but the girls soon managed to get into their stride with 4 rounders scored resulting in 4-0 after the first innings. We swapped over to begin fielding again, the consistent effort and teamwork from MRS kept the score low with STM scoring only 1 ½ rounders. Then MRS came into bat again with Hannah and Laurissa scoring the 1 ½ rounders to take us to victory. Final score: Mark Rutherford 5.5 St Thomas More 1.5.

After a quick swap over and team talk we moved on to our second game against Bedford Modern A. Isabelle won the toss and decided to field first. The fantastic fielding and in particular bowling from Ella kept the score low for Bedford Modern. MRS moved into bat with a few changes made to the team, we got off to a slow start but with some fantastic placement of the ball from Mea and some strong hits out field by Millie and Laurissa we managed to score 7 rounders. Going in to the second innings at 7-4 ½ to MRS. The second innings saw some risky play from our girls but some of the risks paid off to ensure that we took the win at 13 ½ to 10 ½.


Sixth Form District Football

The Sixth Form football team took on Stratton in the District Cup shortly before the Easter holidays. The boys went into the game with just 13 players and without a goalkeeper due to injuries and work commitments, in addition to this, 4 of the 13 had been representing Mark Rutherford in a Rugby 7s tournament all day!

Despite the issues they faced the boys prepared well and started the game strongly, there were several chances that went begging in the opening exchanges. Despite our early pressure, the inability to take these chances allowed Stratton into the game, as they settled the game became a real battle in the middle of the park, with neither side able to fashion any real chances. The game continued like this for the remainder of the first half and well into the second. As the game entered the final 15 minutes both teams opened up a little more as they looked for the win. Stephen Mabberley and debutant Harry Chinn were solid at centre half and restricted Stratton to long range efforts which failed to trouble stand in keeper Dino Doyle. The last 10 minutes saw Marky camping in Stratton’s half. A succession of set pieces from Omar Naseri, including one excellently struck free kick which drew an excellent save from the Stratton keeper were at the heart, but these were dealt with thanks to a combination of poor finishing and very good defending. With just under 5 minutes remaining a quick attack from Marky, started by Fabiano led to another goal for Kamran Bagol – he now has 4 in 4 games! Stratton threw everything forward to find an equaliser but could not find it. Mark Rutherford now face Saint Thomas More in the next round.


U18 Rugby Sevens

We took a team over to Olney RFC for the East Midlands u18 rugby 7's. Due to exam commitments, illness and injury we had a bare 7 players, meaning no substitutes which is always going to be tough in this physically demanding sport.

The standard of players was excellent with some of the best young players in the area in action. Just to put into some context what our boys were up against the other teams that entered were Tresham College, Moulton College, Peterborough Regional College, Hills Road 6th form college and Samuel Whitbread. All have considerably more students on roll than us with most having strong links with Northampton Saints and more than one coach in the school on a regular basis.

The boys were nervous before the start and when they watched Moulton A and Hills Road play they were even more nervous as at least 4 Saints Academy players were on show!

We played Sam Whit B team first up and the early nerves soon disappeared as Eugene Holmes went on a trademark run, bulldozing through 3 defenders and racing 60m before an outstanding tackle stopped him 10m from the line. This gave the boys encouragement and their belief grew throughout the game. Gregor Murray sidestepped his way through the defence to open the scoring in the first half. Leo Mortimer did the same twice in the second half to seal a 19-14 win and put us top of the group!

Up next were Hills Road, who incidentally beat Moulton A (including their 4 Saints players) in the first game. The match was close in the first half with the scores 14-7 to Hills Road at half time. Hills Road made 5 changes at half time to freshen things up. Our boys had a drink! The second half was less even as Hills Road ran in 3 more tries to seal the victory.
2 minutes later we were on again against Moulton A. This was always going to be the toughest game and with no break between matches it proved to be an even tougher challenge. Our boys fought bravely and even managed a try in each half from Dino and Eugene. Poor old Kofi struggled to keep up with his opponent who has a 100m pb of 10.8 seconds.

The boys were out on their feet at the end but finished in a very respectable third in their group. They were complimented on their skills and effort by coaches from opposing schools and Northampton Saints. They did themselves and the school proud and were no means 'out of their depth' as they first feared on arrival.


U12 District Football Tournament

The year 7 football team won the District "B" team tournament at Goldington Middle School on Monday 20th March. The competition consisted of teams from Goldington, Rushmoor, Lincroft, Daubeney, Biddenham, St Gregs and Westfield.

The boys remained unbeaten throughout and only conceded a single goal, in their last match, throughout the whole competition.
Qualifying group stage:
Game 1: Goldington 0 - Mark Rutherford 0
Game 2: Mark Rutherford 1 - Rushmoor 0

This meant the boys topped their group and proceeded into the top group for the final stages:
Game 1: Mark Rutherford 4 - Biddenham 0
Game 2: Lincroft 0 - Mark Rutherford 1
Game 3: Rushmoor 1 - Mark Rutherford 1

The tournament was 9 a-side with games lasting for 10 minutes. Cameron Whiting (year 11) was the team coach and managed to juggle 16 players and keep them all involved across the 5 games. He was excellent and kept the boys focussed and motivated, despite them having to take it in turns to sit out.
Goalkeeper Adrian Nytko was absolutely outstanding throughout and was our best player on the day. At one point during the Rushmoor game, where the boys needed to avoid defeat to win the tournament, he pulled off an incredible stop that was very similar to the famous Gordon Banks save.


Y8 District Football

The final game of the season saw the boys travel the short distance to local rivals Newnham. Rutherford dominated the opening exchanges and Niall Quigley scored a trademark goal by out pacing the defence before slotting past the keeper. Newnham reacted and slowly grew into the game. A break away goal from their striker levelled the scores.

Jonathan Ngoy restored the visitors lead just before half time. Some neat footwork on the edge of the box created him room for a low shot which crept through a crowd of bodies and past the keeper.

Newnham hit back again and the scores stayed level until captain Jared Heung-Chong-Sow stepped up with just two minutes left to play. Jared rose the highest to flick on a long clearance from goalkeeper Rohan Mehmi. His perfectly weighted header put Niall through on goal and with his pace Niall ran clear and produced an excellent finish to give Rutherford the lead.

Jared crested the fourth goal with an excellent through ball for Marcus Luke. Excellent work from Aidan Lyttle found Jared on the edge of the box. A lovely little reverse pass put Marcus in behind his full back. Marcus showed excellent composure and slotted a neat finish into the bottom corner to seal the three points.

That leaves the boys with a league record of three wins, one draw and one defeat. We are now waiting for other results to find out our final league position.


U13 County Rugby 7s

Considering this was the first time the boys had experienced playing 7 aside rugby they applied themselves very well. The tournament consisted of a round Robin with 7 teams including ourselves, Alameda, Linslade, Lincroft, Newnham, Marston Vale and Robert Bloomfield.

The boys got off to a perfect start with a 24-12 win against Alameda. Plamedi immediately showed a talent for 7's with a hat trick. The boys were in a buoyant mood but narrowly lost their second game to Arston Vale 10-12. Both conversions were missed.

Next came games against Lincroft and Linslade. These two teams went on to finish first and second and qualify for the finals day. They both proved too strong for our boys and ran out comfortable winners. Next up was the big local derby against Newnham! Both sets of Boys had been building up for this game all day. Rutherford were trailing 15-5 with just a couple of minutes to go. Tries from Niall Quigley and Tom Abraham drew the scores level. Unfortunately missed conversions cost us again and the game finished 15-15. The last game against Robert Bloomfield was one too many and with a football match later on some players were rested.

The boys finished in a respectable 5th position. Considering their lack of experience this was more than acceptable.


Y11 District Football

On Thursday 9th March the Y11 football team played their first game of the season against Samuel Whitbread. Both sides had several players missing for various reasons, for Marky, this meant that we lined up in a new formation to accommodate the players we had available.

An end to end start saw both defences coming out on top, with no real chances created. With about 20 minutes gone, a loose ball broke to Cameron Whiting who hit a half volley from 35 yards which looped over the keeper but crashed against the crossbar! The game continued to be back and forth, with neither side able to take control. Shortly after hitting the crossbar Cameron picked the ball up again and drove into the Sam Whit box, some good feet drew a lunge from the defender who brought Cam down. Cam dusted himself down and slotted away the penalty to put Mark Rutherford 1-0 up! From here we began to dictate some of the play, we controlled the ball and created a few half chances, this was led by Stevan Pandurevic at the heart of the back three and Connor Butterworth in the middle of the park. Unfortunately, due to a combination of good goalkeeping and poor finishing we didn't take these opportunities! Shortly before half time, some excellent pressure from Jake Inskip forced a mistake from the Sam Whit defence, and he collected the ball, before cutting inside a defender and slotting the ball past the keeper.

The second half started with more of the same, and good chances came for Mark Rutherford; but again these weren't taken. 10 minutes into the second half and Sam Whit grabbed a goal back, at this point Sam Whit began to dominate. Their number 10 started to run the game, and the Mark Rutherford boys began to panic as they lost their grip on the game. Despite their pressure, Luke Reynolds stood firm in goal and made a string of excellent saves, supported well by his back 3 in front of him. However, with 10 minutes to go some poor marking from a corner, and a slip from Luke led to an equaliser!

At this point it was make or break for both sides, as both teams went for the win. With only 2 or 3 minutes left on the clock, Sam Whit grabbed a winner directly from a free kick. Marky tried to respond and missed two glorious opportunities to equaliser in the dying minutes.

It was a game of halves for Marky; the first half was excellent, but in the second half performance levels dropped. We go again next week against Redborne!


County Swimming Competition

On Friday 3rd March we took 4 students to compete in the County Swimming Finals at the Inspire Centre in Luton. All students qualified through the district competitions before Christmas. Students swam really well and team placements for the students were as follows Tia Wilson (Bedford Team 1) 1st, Tommy Wilson and Thomas Belcher (Bedford Team 2) 3rd and Morgan Allan (Bedford Team 2) 4th. Both Thomas and Morgan were competing with swimmers who were in Year 10 so they really held their own as younger swimmers from year 9. Both Tommy and Tia swam well and finished in the top 3 for all of their races.


Sixth Form County Cup

Last night the Sixth Form football team took on KCA in the 2nd round of the County Cup.

The first 10-15 minutes of the game were scrappy, mainly due to the game being played on a small, bobbly pitch, but as the game played out Mark Rutherford began to dictate the play. We were never troubled defensively as Stephen Mabberley and Carlo Stragmalia organised well from centre back and dealt with anything thrown at them. We began to dominate the game, and had a series of corners consecutively, eventually, Kamran Bagol gave Mark Rutherford the lead with a clever flick at the near post from Fabiano’s corner. KCA did threaten from a free kick shortly after the goal, but the deflected effort was well saved by Luke Reynolds. There were several half chances that followed but none found the back of the net, at half time we led 1-0.

The second half saw Mark Rutherford attacking down the hill, and the introduction of James Hymers. With a slight change of shape and tactic, Mark Rutherford quickly doubled the lead, James Hymers converting with his first touch! It was an excellent spell for Marky, as James Hymers then released Connor McEvoy with an excellent pass, Connor burst into the box and fired the ball into the top corner. At this point Mark Rutherford were well in control and started to create several chances, several were missed due to a combination of good goalkeeping and poor finishing! Sam Partridge and Fabiano Cammarano both had good opportunities but failed to convert. There were more goals to follow, as Stephen Mabberley converted with his knee from a corner, James grabbed his second with a smart turn and finish and then Omar rounded off the scoring by finishing an excellent move by finishing from Connor’s cross. The boys continued to play in the correct way until the end which was a good sign going into the next round.

Man of the Match was Stephen Mabberley – another solid performance from centre half.


Y8 District Football

The boys followed up Monday's win over Lincroft with another good performance away to Bedford Academy on Tuesday 22nd.

Rutherford started well and took an early lead through captain Plamedi Bomolo. Aaron Woodham produced some excellent skill to beat one defender before being tripped by another. The resulting Penalty was well put away by Plamedi.

Rutherford dominated the centre of the park with Aidan Lyttle and Plamedi continuing to work well together. Niall Quigley added to the hat trick he scored on Monday by putting his side 2-0 up. Showing great speed he outran the defence and poked past the keeper to double his sides lead.
BA threatened to close the gap but the central defensive partnership of Jared Hung-Cheong-Sow and Tyreese Williams stood firm and keeper Rohan Mehmi pulled off an excellent save at the start of the second half.
Rutherford were unable to extend their lead further but kept a clean sheet to finish 2-0 winners.

With 6 points from their first two games they are now sitting top of the league.


Y8 District Football

Mark Rutherford 6 - 3 Lincroft 'B'

The year 8 boys played host to Lincroft B in their opening league game of the season. Lincroft started strongly and were camped inside the Rutherford half for the opening 10 minutes. Piers Bloomfield and Jared Hung-Cheong-Sow were excellent at the back and kept the opposition at bay. Plamedi Bomolo and Aidan Lyttle gradually began to dominate the midfield and Rutherford started to look more and more threatening. Niall Quigley had 3 excellent chances well saved by the Lincroft keeper before Lincroft hit on the counter. A long through ball resulted in Jared conceding a penalty. An excellent finish put the visitors a goal up. It was looking likely to stay this way until half time before Aidan Lyttle levelled with an absolute screamer. He picked the ball up on the halfway line, ran at the heart of the defence and unleashed an unstoppable drive into the top of the goal from 30 yards out.

This gave Rutherford real belief and they started the second half much stronger. It took just over a minute to take the lead through striker Asif Mzee. Some excellent passing resulted in Asif receiving the ball just inside the area. He shifted it onto his favoured right foot and smashed the ball into the far top corner.

The boys were now buzzing and in control of the game. They created more chances but could not score a third. Niall Quigley had another good shot saved and it looked like it was not to be his day. Then came a real sucker punch as Lincroft scored two quick goals on the counter attack to lead 3-2 with 15 minutes to play. The boys had a little wobble but soon regained their focus. Niall finally found the back of the net to ease some of his frustration and the boys now believed they could go on and win. This belief was justified when Aidan scored directly from a corner, catching the opposition keeper out, and Niall added the 5th. Niall finished off an excellent come back by the team, and himself personally, by heading home his hat trick from another excellent corner from Aidan.

The final score was 6-3 to Rutherford.


U14 Girls County Badminton

On the Friday afternoon on the last day of half term saw the County Badminton Tournament. Our Year 9 Girls' team qualified as District Champions, and the girls were extremely positive and supportive of each other throughout the County tournament. This led to them performing well, which led to them achieving second place and ending the competition as County Runners-Up.

Tournament results:
Cedars beat Mark Rutherford 3-2
Redborne lost to Mark Rutherford 3-2
Mark Rutherford beat Putteridge 4-1


District Cross Country

On Wednesday 1st February we took students to compete in the District Cross Country event at Sharnbrook. There were several excellent performances on the day, and the following students finished in the top 16 of their respective races, meaning that they therefore qualify for the County Championships on Wednesday 8th Feb:

Junior Girls – Willow Tucker (10th)
Junior Boys – Ollie Dunkley (9th)
                       Durell Brown (14th)
                       Tom Hazell (15th)
Inter Girls –  Tia Wilson (1st)
                     Chloe Pigram (11th)
Inter Boys – Jamie McCaffray (8th)

Tia Wilson finished well in front of the rest of the field, comfortably beating all of the senior (6th form) girls that were also running with the inter girls. SHE RETAINS HER DISTRICT CHAMPION TITLE. Please congratulate her for another outstanding achievement.


Year 7&8 Badminton

Our year 7 & 8 boys badminton teams competed in their second round of fixtures of their tournament on Thursday 12th January at Goldington Academy.  

Once again the boys worked hard through the many rounds of singles and doubles games and faced Goldington Academy, Castle Newnam and Bedford Academy.

We changed the team around for this week and took along Ben Moseray and Lewis Williams, they were a welcome addition to the team, with Ben helping to up our scores by winning his singles matches. The boys were much more focussed and understood the format better this week which allowed for better results all round.

We have our final round of the tournament this Thursday.


Year 7&8 Badminton

On Thursday 5th January our year 7 & 8 boys badminton teams competed in the first round of fixtures of their Badminton tournament at Goldington Academy.

The boys worked through many rounds of singles and doubles games facing some tough opponents from Goldington, Castle Newnam and Bedford Academy. They all worked incredibly hard but were found to be on a losing streak for the majority of the games. We had one win of the tournament with Samith Hussain beating a strong opponent from Castle Newnam.  

The boys all tried exceptionally hard and I hope they can now take something from this experience to use in the next round on Thursday.  


Year 10 Rugby

The yr10 team hosted Samuel Whitbread yesterday afternoon. There were a few players missing for Rutherford and this meant the boys were not at their most confident going into the game. The inclusion of Raphael Bouju helped raise spirits as his pace and power will cause problems for any opposition. The game started very evenly with some big tackles.being made by both teams. It didn't take long for Raph to make hus presence felt as he made two excellent runs through the opposition defence. Unfortunately, due to the greasy conditions the ball was knocked on on both occasions with Rutherford in dangerous positions.

Samuel Whitbread opened the scoring with an excellent try from their right wing. Another Rutherford attack was halted and the counter attack resulted in a try In the corner. A period of pressure for Whitbread followed and things were beginning to look ominous for the hosts. However, a Whitbread error resulted in a penalty to Rutherford. Fly half David Rickhuss kicked the ball to touch and earned his side a line out 5 metres from the opposition try line. Hooker Tom Howes threw perfectly. Ben Broughton was lifted high in the air by his props and caught the line out. An excellent maul followed and scrum half Aimar Che Isa snuck out round the blind side to dive into the corner to level the scores. 5-5.

Rutherford had real belief now and came again at Sam Whit. A good move was finished off in the right corner by winger James Mabberley. David Rickhuss created the space for James by committing his defender before beautifully popping the ball out for James to touch down. Rutherford went in at half time in presently surprising 10-5 lead.
David kicked off the second half and Whitbread burst through almost immediately. Some last ditch defending did little more than delay the inevitable as the visitors eventually scored under the posts. This try was converted and moved the score to 10-12 to Whitbread.

The next ten minutes were very even and with the light fading Rutherford were awarded a penalty bang in front of the posts. Skipper Tom Howes called for his fly half to kick for the posts. David stroked the ball through the middle to regain the lead at 13-12 and time running out. Unfortunately Rutherford were unable to hang on for an unlikely win as Whitbread secured victory with one final try to leave the final score 13-17.
Our boys were excellent and I think they surprised themselves with how competitive they had been. They grew in confidence throughout the game as they realised that their make shift team was a match for their opponents.


Year 11 County Cup Football

The Y11s took part in the first round of the County Cup tonight against a strong Icknield side in their first game of the season!

The boys got off to a great start and were dictating play from the first whistle, which allowed us to take control of the game. The boys created an early opportunity but Jake Inskip’s effort was well saved from the keeper, before Icknield’s centre half made a great last-ditch tackle to deny Peter Mohrasri. However, as the game progressed, Mark Rutherford continued to dominate; Marco Zarrella was marshalling the back four to keep Icknield out, while Tom Garbould and Jack Kermez battled well in midfield and were pulling the strings when we won possession. With about 10 minutes gone, Peter Mohrasri held the ball up fantastically before playing a sharp one-two with Jake Inskip and he then slotted the ball home at the near post to put Marky 1-0 up! Shortly after this a fantastic pass from Tom Garbould released Georgie McGrath who finished fantastically to make it 2-0. From this point the boys looked comfortable, with Marco and Srdjan Ramic continuing to keep the strikers out, and Cameron Whiting, Georgie and Jake continued to cause problems as an attacking trio behind Peter Mohrasri.

The second half saw more of the same, Lyndon Senior came on and had a great early opportunity at the back post but he couldn’t adjust his feet in time. Good chance also came for Cam, Marco and Tom but none of them managed to really test the Icknield keeper. In Icknield’s only real chance of note, Luke Reynolds was forced into an incredible save as tipped the ball over for a corner to keep Marky in control. Shortly after this, Georgie was excellently picked out by Tom Garbould, and he smashed the ball past the keeper to make it 3-0. At this point our levels dropped slightly, but the boys continued to see the game out, with Peter Mohrasri and Arek had great chances to make it 4-0, unfortunately both went narrowly wide. A great result which sees the boys progress to the next round!


U14 Girls District Badminton

Our year 9 Badminton team (Jaimie Flynn, Poppy Lamey, Amrita Panesar, Ella Litchfield) took to the Badminton court on the 23rd November for the girls tournament.  The girls were part of a 5 team group, they played all schools in the group and finished top of the group. The girls then took on the runners up of the other group in the semi finals and won this match also. This meant the girls met Sharnbook in the final and were match winners of that also, meaning that they were crowned District Champions!
Match results:
Mark Rutherford vs Biddenham 2 - MRS match winners 5-0
Mark Rutherford vs Biddenham 3 - MRS match winners 5-0
Mark Rutherford vs Sharnbrook 2 - MRS match winners 4-1
Mark Rutherford vs Bedford Free School - MRS match winners 5-0
Semi final: Mark Rutherford vs Sharnbrook 1: MRS match winners 3.5-1.5
Final: Mark Rutherford vs Sharnbrook 2: MRS match winners 3.5-1.5


First XV Rugby

Considering our boys had had plenty of time to prepare before the game they were caught napping at kick off and immediately conceded a try. This seemed to spark them into life and Eugene stormed his way through 3 would-be tacklers to level the scores. Leo added the two extra points to take the lead 7-5.

Biddenham hit back with another unconverted try before Cam Whiting came off the bench and scored an excellent individual score within 30 seconds of coming on. Eugene was then substituted because he could not catch a cold and had repeatedly knocked on with the try line at his mercy. Both sets of players found this highly amusing, Eugene did not!
The big man sorted himself out and came back on in the second half and completed an excellent hat-trick. Oli Weerasinghe and Michael Czuba both scored one each. Captain Leo Mortimer kicked 7 out of 8 conversions to leave the final score at 40 points to 24 in favour of the home side.


Year 10 Netball

The under 15 netball maintain their winning ways. The year 10 netball team played St Thomas More on Tuesday afternoon. The girls have been training hard and working on their movement both on the ball and into space. The St Thomas More girls were keen to put our girls under pressure however our defence remained strong and we prevented them from scoring at all in the first half. With some excellent centre court play from Freya feeding the ball into the circle the girls built the moment to win the game 6-3.


Year 7 Rugby

On Thursday 13th the Year 7 rugby team travelled to Rushmoor to take part in their first game of the season, and their first fixture for Mark Rutherford. Of the 13 boys that went, only 2 had ever played in a competitive match before, whilst the others had only started playing since joining the school.

Despite their inexperience the boys started well, they were doing the basics well, and despite Rushmoor dominating possession they were failing to capitalise on this due to some excellent defending from Mark Rutherford – particularly Jonathan Baker and Ben Moseray who bossed the line exceptionally well. Eventually, Rushmoor’s pressure did pay off, and they scored 2 excellent tries in quick succession to put themselves 10-0 up. Mark Rutherford responded very well, and began to keep the ball in hand and create some chances of their own, Aaron Woodham and Eliot Kissindja both went close but were tackled well just short of the line.

The second half offered more of the same, with both sides looking to retain possession and build their play. Mark Rutherford were beginning to come into the game more, with Jonathan Baker and Jack Slater rucking superbly to allow Marky to keep the ball. Eventually this paid off, as some great work from those two boys led to Ben Moseray feeding Eliot who went over in the corner for the Y7’s first try of the year, and putting Mark Rutherford back into the game. This spurred the boys even more, and they seemed to up their game even further, and this had its reward as Ben Moseray powered over in the corner after being released by Marshall Whiting to even the game at 10-10 going into the final 7 minutes.

Both sides then went to try and win the game, but both teams were hampered by errors in the final 10m or some excellent defending from the opposition. With only 3 or 4 minutes left it was Rushmoor who grabbed the decisive try and took a 15-10 lead, and they held on well for the win.
It was a fantastic performance from the boys, particularly with so many students who were new to rugby; in addition, the attitude of all of the boys was fantastic throughout the game and trip to Rushmoor.


Sixth Form Football

The Sixth Form football team took on Samuel Whitbread in the second round of the National Trophy on the 10th October. There were a couple of players missing from the team who had defeated Northampton School for Boys in the opening round as a result of injuries sustained over the weekend.

Despite having players missing the boys started strongly, in what was a very competitive match from the off, with both teams trying to keep possession and keep the ball on the ground. The first real chance fell to Lucas Cain, who pressed the Sam Whit back 4 into a mistake but couldn’t quite beat the outrushing keeper to the loose ball. The game continued to be end-to-end, but with neither side really able to create a clear cut opportunity. With about 30 minutes on the clock, Sam Whit took the lead, a sloppy goal for Marky to concede as a lofted delivery was won at the back post and a header was sent crashing into the roof of the net. Despite this set back, Mark Rutherford continued to try and play, but Sam Whit were asserting some control on the game, as they began to dictate play.

Into the second half, Mark Rutherford continued to try and get back into the game, with Stephen Mabberley marshalling the back four, and Fabianno Cammarano putting in a fantastic shift in the middle of the park. Despite this, Samuel Whitbread grabbed a deserved second goal, this time a good move was well finished by their striker. At this point Marky pressed harder as they had to find a way back into the game, a change of shape saw Mark Rutherford create 3 or 4 half chances, but the Sam Whit keeper was in inspired form as he repelled everything that was thrown at him, including a ferocious free-kick from Omar Naseri. As Marky chased the game, Sam Whit caught us on the counter-attack to seal a 3-0 win.

The boys should be proud of their efforts, and good luck to Samuel Whitbread in the next round.


Year 10 Rugby

The Year 10 team travelled to Cambridge in the first round of the National Cup.

The home side started the brightest and should have scored the opening try within the first 5 minutes. Full Back Suraj Makadia pulled off an excellent last ditch tackle to force the opposing number 8 to knock on having already carried the ball over the try line. Swavesy did eventually take the lead but Rutherford hit back immediately through a James Mabberley try.

Swavesey responded with their second try and looked like leading at half time. However, relentless pressure from the Rutherford forwards pinned Swavesey inside their 22 before Scrum half Aimar Che Isa expertly burst through a ruck to dive over for 5 more points. David Rickhuss converted to give Rutherford a slender 10-12 lead at half time.

The sides exchanged scores again in the second half as first the home team regained the lead before Adam Tilson hit back to make it 15-17. Adam, on debut, powered through the defence to score in the corner following food work from the forwards and Aimar (video to follow).
Rutherford looked dangerous now and were pushing for the victory. Winger Kieran Waller found himself isolated in the opposing 22 and the Swavesey captain broke away and ran the length of the pitch to score under the posts. A classic counter attack score against the run of play. 22-17 and time running out.

The boys thought they had hit back twice but first a Kieran Waller was held up over the line and then Adam Tilson dropped the ball under pressure as he went over the opposition try line. Rutherford did not drop their heads and kept pushing for the victory.

Fly half David Rickhuss kept gaining ground with some excellent penalty kicks to touch. The line out was solid throughout and eventually a good maul drew a penalty in a dangerous position. The boys thought they had managed a brave comeback when captain Jacob Dacres-Kamm dived over but he was adjudged to be held up too. Rutherford now had a scrum 5 metres out with seconds remaining. A big shove resulted in good ball for Aimar at the base of the scrum. He dummied a pass to David before darting down the blind side and diving over the line to level the scores. With the last kick of the game David Rickhuss was unable to make the conversion from right out on the touchline.

Extra time and golden score. Unfortunately the Swavesey full back gathered a loose ball and scored in the corner with just a few minutes played.

The boys fought bravely and on another day would have won the game comfortably. They now go into the Bowl competition where they will face Wootton next week. There were too many outstanding performances to award an individual as man of the match. Every single player stepped up to the mark and shone.


Year 8 Rugby

In their first league game of the season the boys produced a spirited performance to defeat a strong Lincroft side. Lincroft started well and took a deserved lead. Our boys kept battling and were rewarded when Plamedi beat four defenders and raced forty metres before touching down between the posts. The try had been set up from an excellent rolling maul following a line out. Piers, Rohan, Brandon, Daniel Jarvis and Jacob Hall had been practicing before the game and executed the move to perfection.

The boys were buzzing and went into half time knowing they had a good chance of winning. Lincroft struggled to handle the aggression and strength of Rutherford in the second half. Captain Jacob Hall carried the ball superbly well, battering his way through defender after defender.
Plamedi scored another excellent try following good work from the forwards. Niall Quigley then finished off the game with a try In the corner following excellent running from Jacob and then Daniel.

Lincroft scored a break away try from a quick penalty right at the death to leave the score 21-14 to Mark Rutherford.


Year 11 Rugby

On Tuesday 27th September the Year 11s took on a Bedford School 'B' team as part of a rugby double header which also involved the Y10 team. The boys commitment was excellent, as 18 students were out and ready for probably the biggest rugby test they'd faced since being at Mark Rutherford.

The boys started well and were competing to a high standard across the park, despite this Bedford School showed their quality and scored a couple of tries in quick succession to take control of the game. The Mark Rutherford boys did not let this break their spirit, and to their credit they got themselves back in the game with a great break away try, finished of by Oli Weerasinghe.

In a game where Bedford Schools dominated the ball, the pressure was on Mark Rutherford's defence, the forwards did well, but the sheer number of breakdowns took their toll and Bedford School began to dominate the game, and scored several unanswered tries to secure a big victory for themselves.

Mark Rutherford battled exceptionally throughout the game, and at times played some good rugby which could have led to more points on the board against weaker opposition. Hopefully, this level of challenge for the Y11s will lead to improved performance and understanding of the game to aid their development. Well done to all, and a big thank you to Bedford School for bringing their boys over.


Year 7 & 8 Netball

TAnother successful evening of netball fixtures last night. The year 7 and 8 took to the courts for their second set of fixtures of the league. Newnham were our opposition and arrived looking organised and ready for a good game. We have a strong squad of girls who have all been regularly attending training and this was clear from their performances last night. The Year 7 team were a little more nervous than our opposition but worked well to ensure we scored from our own centres. The final score finishing 2-1.

The year 8 team were dominant throughout the game, they turned possession over regularly in the opposition half and prevented them from scoring any goals at all. Some excellent shooting by Chardonnay, Gracie and Evie ensured the score kept increasing at a good pace and the half time score was 5-0. The girls began to lose a little momentum in the second half and girls needs to refocus, the final score finished 6-0. The girls played an extra 10 mins at the end of give the opposition chance to put some additional players on, our girls settled back into the well-paced game from the first half and also won that 6-0 which would have given a 12-0 final score.


Year 10 Rugby

The year 10 team hosted Bedford School C on Tuesday 27th. Rutherford still had a few players missing but were able to call on the services of Raphael Bouju for his school rugby debut. Raph had an immediate impact when fullback Suraj Makadia caught the kick off, drew a defender and offloaded to Raph inside his own half. Raph stepped past the first tackle and accelerated through the gap, out pacing the defence to score under the posts! David Rickhuss added the conversion to make the score 7-0 after just one minute.

Raph's pace proved too much for the opposition and he completed his hat trick within twenty minutes. David converted each try. 21-0. James Mabberley and Kieran Waller had too much pace and power for their opponents and they too ran in excellent tries from the half way line. 33-10 at half time.

TRaph took his personal tally to five tries before David Rickhuss scored one of his own. The final score was 52-19 to Mark Rutherford. A dominant performance from a team that worked incredibly hard for each other. Captain Jacob Dacres-Kamm was named man of the match. He proved simply too strong and powerful for the opposition forwards. At times rucking and clearing out two or three opponents by himself.


Y11 Basketball

They played their second match of the season two weeks ago against Bedford Free School.  They played well although they know they could have been a lot better.  I think the fact that they thought it would be a walk over was on their mind and the game was a lot closer than what it should have been.  Nevertheless they won the game 24-12 with Joey Russo Man of the Match again with Brai Moseray coming a close second.


Y10 Netball

The Year 10 girls had their first games of the netball season last night at Bedford Academy. We had a 12 strong squad of players for the games which allowed us to rotate and field a strong team against all opposition. Mark Rutherford were dominant in their netball performances as they started the season with 3 wins from 3 games.

The team have trained together over the past few weeks and put the set passes and tactics to good effect in the matches played last night. Both games against both Sandy and Bedford Free School saw the defence step up and limit only 1 goal being scored in the first half. Caitlin, Mea, Ruby, Hannah C and Hannah F worked well to also restrict Bedford Academy to scoring only 3 goals in the whole game and only 1 of those being scored in the second half. The shooting partnership of Hannah C, Laurissa and Ella was consistently good and the scores reflected the good performances from all 3 girls. The ball moved from the defending to the attacking third well and the used the space much better as the games progressed. Well done to Freya for an outstanding performance at C and was supported well by Aimee, Alex, Issy and Charlie.

Game 1: Mark Rutherford 11 – Bedford Free School 1
Game 2: Mark Rutherford 13 – Bedford Academy 3
Game 3: Mark Rutherford 8 – Sandy 1


Year 7&8 Netball

Last week the year 7 & 8 netball teams started off strongly securing a 7-6 win, followed by a 2-2 draw against Goldington. The girls played well together considering this was the first game of the season and showed some promise for a successful year. Well done to Tasharna Antoine, Charlotte Grant, Chardonnay Royes, Susie Baker, Leah Anin, Abigayle Ojo, Eeman El-Awad, Evie Riley, Yamira Rodriguez, Jayla Green, Keira Asare, Aimee Martin, Shannola Mullings, Chandani Makadia, Neve Goodchild, Cairenn Brown, Emily Palmer, Gracie Quirke and Lauren Innis.


Sixth Form Football

On Thursday 22nd the U18 football team played their first match of the season – a National Trophy fixture against Northampton School for Boys!

The boys went into the fixture with just 2 training sessions under their belt, however, their attitude and effort was fantastic from the off. The game began off relatively end-to-end, but with neither side able to create any meaningful opportunities, largely down to some good defending from the Rutherford back four of Joe Seward-Clark, Stephen Mabberley, Sam Partridge and Ollie Hymers who dominated from the off, and some misplaced final passes in the final third preventing Mark Rutherford from creating any real chances of note.

After 10-15 minutes had passed Mark Rutherford had settled, they’d done exactly what was asked of them initially by settling into the game and retaining possession, and at this point they began to open the game up a little more, Fabs and Omar were bossing the middle of the park, and a few chances came and went for Lucas Cain, Kamran and Fabs himself. Following a sustained spell of pressure, eventually the deadlock was broken, a move that started at left-back with Ollie, ended up with a floated delivery to the back post and Kamran Bagol rose highest to head it back across the keeper and into the bottom corner. 1-0 to Mark Rutherford. After this, the boys settled even more, some fantastic link play between Jamie Henson and Kam resulted in Jamie taking on a volley from 10 yards out, unfortunately he couldn’t keep it down and it flew over the bar. The half ended without Adam White having to make a save in goal for Mark Rutherford.

The second half saw NSB push for the equaliser, and at times the Marky back 4 were under siege, however, they defended superbly, being marshalled by Sam and Stephen, and everything NSB threw at them was dealt with excellently. The midfield worked hard, including the subs who were introduced, as they battled and battled to get Marky back in the game. There were a couple of half chances for Mark Rutherford in the second half, with two goal-mouth scrambles that saw 5 or 6 efforts each but somehow, a combination of spirited defending, and sheer luck kept the ball out and the score at 1-0. Despite the pressure we were under the boys looked comfortable, and to their credit, they held on to secure the 1-0 win and advance to the next round.

A very impressive first performance from all involved, the second round sees us take on Sam Whit at home on the 10th October. Man of the Match: Sam Partridge.


Year 10 Rugby

On Thursday the year 10 Rugby team hosted Rushmoor in their opening game of the season. With a handful of regular players missing, debuts were handed to 7 players; Laytan Meehan, Saraj Makadia, George Murray, Jordan Cattrall, Kamarni Burley, Ben Matthew and Parsa Mostaghimi. This meant it was always going to be a tough ask against a well drilled and organised opposition.

Rushmoor were able to exploit a lack of experience in Rutherford's defences and secure a deserved 36-7 victory. Rutherford competed well throughout the game and had spells of pressure themselves, although these were unfortunately too sporadic.

Rutherford did manage a solitary score just before half time. George Murray (yr 9) ran a great line off fly half David Rickhuss to break through the visitors defence. He was brought down by the Rushmoor full back just a few yards from the line. Reon Lewis had tracked the run extremely well and was on hand to provide perfect support for George's offload. Reon collected the pass and powered over the line for a very good close range finish. David Rickhuss added the two extra points from the conversion.


Year 8 Rugby

The year 8 rugby team travelled the short distance to Rushmoor for their first game of the season. Considering we lost 75-0 last year this was always going to be tough.

The game started at a ferocious pace with mistakes all over the place. There seemed little to separate the two teams initially but then a spell of pressure from the hosts resulted in a try In the corner 5-0.
Rather than deflating the boys this spurred them on. They repelled another strong attack and broke out from under their own posts. Scrum half Kacper picked up the ball from the Base of his own scrum. He threw a nice pass out to fly half Tom D'Arcy who in turn fed Plamedi. Plamedi ran the length of the field bursting through numerous tackles before touching down about twenty yards from the posts. Once I'd congratulated him on scoring a fantastic try I then pointed out that next time he should put the ball under the posts to make the conversion to get easier. He gave me one of his looks, placed the ball on the tea and pinged the ball straight between the posts! 5-7.

Plamedi continued to be a threat throughout the game and worked tirelessly in both attack and defence. His performance lifted the rest or the team and they pressed forward looking for another score. Aaron Woodham almost went over in the corner but a last ditch tackle bundled him into touch. From the resulting line out Rushmoor sent a long kick downfield to clear their lines. Or so they thought. Jake and Aaron Woodham had read the game well and dropped deep to collect the kick. Aaron took a great catch and ran straight back at the defence of Rushmoor. He danced and weaved his way through the first couple of tackles before beating his opposite winger for pace and touched down for an outstanding try. He too had the chat about putting the ball under the posts. Yet again Plamedi was not fussed and added the extra two points with another excellent kick 5-14.

The boys were buzzing and now had a real belief that they could go on and win the game. Unfortunately a couple of mistakes late in the half allowed Rushmoor in for their second try to leave the score at 10-14 at half time.

Rushmoor had a chance to gather themselves at half time and came out with a greater structure and organisation. This small step up in quality was enough to get themselves a foot hold in the game. Two very good individual tries for one of their strongest players was enough for them to seal the victory 22-14.

Our boys were excellent throughout the game. Kacper Kruszyna had an excellent game at scrum half, digging away to retrieve the ball when it looked like it had been stolen by the opposition. Jacob Hall led by example and carried the ball time and again, drawing in at least four defenders with every bulldozing run. Alfie Hawkins came off the bench and showed some excellent handling skills and tackled like he’s never tackled before. Brandon Malcolm-Smith worked tirelessly around the break down and Rohan Mehmi, playing his first game of rugby, was excellent in defence. Man of the match was Plamedi Bomolo who just ran and ran and ran. Always beating defenders and scoring a personal tally of nine points.

The final score of 22- 14 was quite an improvement on last years result and provided the boys with plenty of confidence going into their next game next Thursday


Year 11 Rugby

The Year 11 rugby team took on Rushmoor on Tuesday 20th September in their opening game of the season. Marky had a few players missing for game due to injuries which meant the game included two Y10 students as well some more inexperienced boys.

The first 10 minutes of the game were not great for Mark Rutherford as Rushmoor raced ahead with two early tries. However, the boys spirit and determination was excellent as they battled their way back into the game, despite the inexperience all of the boys did what was asked of them and they got their reward as Greg Hicks darted over to put Rutherford back in the game. From this the game evened out, as both sides tried to score the all-important next try, eventually it arrived, as Rushmoor extended their lead. The well-drilled Rushmoor side moved the ball well and a great move was finished excellently by their winger.

Mark Rutherford responded well, and an excellent try from Luke Reynolds again put Marky back into the game. We continued to look dangerous, and this was rewarded as Oli Weerasinghe scored set off from the halfway line, shot down the line and touched down under the posts. The boys did well to get themselves back into the game, however, it had taken it's toll, as fitness started to kick in and Mark Rutherford's intensity dropped. This allowed Rushmoor to take advantage and several second half tries went unanswered meaning that Rushmoor ran out 42-17 winners.

A good performance from the Year 11s, which is not reflected in the score line. Standout performances from Greg Hicks and Luke Reynolds.


U16 District Basketball

The year 11 boys played their first basketball fixture of the season this afternoon against local rivals St Thomas More.  

The boys were well up for it and I even had student asking me at break and lunchtime if they could be involved in the game.  The boys trained well before the opposition arrived and were in confident mood.  This was reflected on the way they started the game as although there was no score in the first few minutes of the game, they were solid in defence which is a good thing for this inexperienced team.  having said that, STM were slightly the better team and this showed as the game went on.  They scored a couple of baskets in the first quarter with no real response from our lads.  Joey Russo however, shot an excellent three pointer to bring the game closer with one throw which was the highlight of the opening 10 minutes.  The game pretty much followed a familiar pattern where STM would score a few point and we would follow with the odd points ourselves but we never pushed on and took the lead at any stage of the game.  The final quarter brought us to within two points of them and our lads sensed they could win this.  If they concentrated on their marking, selected the right pass at the right time and made sure of their chances, they would win.  This didn’t happen and although Joey Russo scored another couple of points for the home team, STM scored a few of their own and the game finished 16-20 to STM.  

Although they didn’t win, please encourage the boys when you see them as they played well in spells and if they can sort out their concentration and be more accurate with their shooting then they will win more games than they will lose.  

Man of the match was Joey Russo who top scored with 7 points.



Mark Rutherford School
Wentworth Drive, Bedford, Bedfordshire Mk41 8PX
Telephone 01234 290200 : Fax 01234 290236 : Email: